News:

retro-link - your friendly all-inclusive retro EVERYTHING community

Main Menu

Sanyo 7200 Beta Hi-Fi VCR

Started by RobertB, March 21, 2012, 09:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertB

Darn!  A few weeks ago I was trying to show old student movies to the current students in class.  The movies were saved on Beta tape, and I was using the old 1984 Sanyo 7200 Beta Hi-Fi VCR.  Well, the old machine groaned as it loaded in the first tape, but it played it correctly.  I ejected out the tape and tried a second tape.  The machine groaned again, but this time would not load the tape around the drum and pulleys.  Oh-oh.  I tried several times and even pulled the cover off the VCR to see what was happening.  Not being a VCR repairman, I couldn't do anything.
    Thinking that repairing the old VCR was not worth it, I figured it was time to buy another working one.  I waited for filmmakers Rory and Jerold who were going to investigate if there were any Beta VCRs available to them.  With no response from them, I then checked eBay.  Hmm, junkers, average ones that people were bidding on, and high-priced ones that were mint.  I didn't want to bid; I wanted a Buy Now machine.  Finally, I decided on a Buy Now Sanyo 7200 that was described as refurbished by the seller.  New rubber... a new drum...  even a 3-day return policy with free return.  With shipping, it came to $203... about $50 above what I was hoping.  I paid via Paypal and now am awaiting the arrival of the VCR.

Too many Beta tapes archived,
         Robert Bernardo
         Fresno Commodore User Group
         http://videocam.net.au/fcug

Paul

Wow, that's amazing! I can vaguely remember when they were clearing out the players for half that! Personally, I've always had good luck with flea markets and thrift stores. If I come across a Beta machine, I'll let you know, Robert.
"Life and death are of supreme importance. Time swiftly passes by and opportunity is lost. Each of us should strive to awaken. Awaken. Take heed, do not squander your life." - Dogen Zenji

RobertB

Quote from: Paul on March 21, 2012, 04:10:28 PMIf I come across a Beta machine, I'll let you know, Robert.
Oh, thanks.  If it is working properly, that is good.  If it is a higher-end model -- one with SuperBeta and Hi-Fi or even with a jog wheel on it -- that would be great.

Truly,
          Robert Bernardo

RobertB

Quote from: me on March 21, 2012, 09:14:51 AMFinally, I decided on a Buy Now Sanyo 7200 that was described as refurbished by the seller.  New rubber... a new drum...  even a 3-day return policy with free return.  With shipping, it came to $203... about $50 above what I was hoping.  I paid via Paypal and now am awaiting the arrival of the VCR.
The VCR came in a couple of days ago.  It works well, though there is a humming noise from the transformer even in standby mode.

Truly,
          Robert Bernardo