News:

retro-link - your friendly all-inclusive retro EVERYTHING community

Main Menu

Leaving it all behind

Started by Paul, March 22, 2009, 01:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

It has always amazed me whenever I see someone who has made a huge success of their life in the materialistic world simply walk away from it all to leave it all behind, for that of a simpler life.  Doubly so for those who choose to do this right when entering the prime of their lives and career. 

Take, for instance, Michelle Meyrink.  Not necessarily a huge star in the 80's, but she certainly had a very successful career with plenty of potential to go on.  She walked away from it all, and today lives in what can be best described as a shed with her husband and children, following the path of Zen Buddhism.  Today, she seems quite happy and content with her minimalist lifestyle. 

Next, consider Jane Siberry.  An 80's music star, making a name for herself with her unique brand of new wave music.  Her albums were critically acclaimed.  After that, she went on to explore her music even deeper.  Then, in 2006, she gave all of her posessions away - including her house and instruments, save for one traveling guitar.  She continues to pursue her music, but evidently enjoys her minimalist lifestyle.

Often, I ponder this thought.  People in our modern culture work so very hard to "Get ahead;" to make some money so they can retire.  We spend the best years of our lives chasing materialistic possessions!  Yet, people in general aren't happy.  Some are, but many people I talk to hate their job, hate driving,...they end up hating everything they wanted earlier in their life.  So many people turn to vices like alcohol, and who hasn't exclaimed that they needed a vacation to get away from it all? 

I find myself considering, and evaluating my own life.  I am happy with who and what I am today; but whenever I push myself to do better and to make more, I become unhappy.  I'm feeling like it's time for serious change in my life, and how I look at it.  Perhaps what I have today is enough, and I need no more. 
"Life and death are of supreme importance. Time swiftly passes by and opportunity is lost. Each of us should strive to awaken. Awaken. Take heed, do not squander your life." - Dogen Zenji

RobertB

Quote from: DigitalQuirk on March 22, 2009, 01:53:45 AMI find myself considering, and evaluating my own life.  I am happy with who and what I am today; but whenever I push myself to do better and to make more, I become unhappy.  I'm feeling like it's time for serious change in my life, and how I look at it.  Perhaps what I have today is enough, and I need no more.
Sounds as if you are having a mid-life crisis.  When I turned 40, I thought, "Where is the mid-life crisis?"  When I turned 50, I thought, "Where is the mid-life crisis?"  It didn't come.  No re-evaluation of my life.  I felt the same.  I acted the same.  Perhaps it will come in the future when my parents pass away.
     It seems that I remain constant.  Life around me seems constant.  My relatives are the same.  My friends are the same, one from 1970.  My hobbies are the same.  My religion hasn't changed since birth.  My job has been at the same place for 30 years.  My car is the same from 1991.  My phone number is the same from 1979.  My house is the same from 1992.
     Should I change my life?  Why?  I feel comfort in having constancy.  Can I improve?  Sure, but not to destroy everything I have.  Improvement must enhance what I have.

Truly,
                          Robert Bernardo
                          Fresno Commodore User Group
                          http://videocam.net.au/fcug
                          Notacon 6 / Blockparty 3 on April 16-19
                          http://www.notacon.org , http://www.demoparty.us

Paul

Of course, I doubt I could ever walk away from it all.  This sort of thing just causes me to pause and consider the real reasons why we want the bigger house, more expensive car, and so on.  I think I should endeavor to make my own vehicles last for two decades and be contented with who I am and what I have.  After all, if some of the biggest stars from our retro computing past didn't find happiness in "All that," it's doubtful that I would.
"Life and death are of supreme importance. Time swiftly passes by and opportunity is lost. Each of us should strive to awaken. Awaken. Take heed, do not squander your life." - Dogen Zenji

smj

I think it probably comes from people realizing how futile it is to 'improve' their lives with material items.  Have many items can become burden to some.  Living simple is probably the best thing.  Is there something called Collector's Syndrome?  Or maybe Completist Syndrome?  No doubt ebay must bring that out in many people.

Paul

Quote from: smj on March 24, 2009, 04:10:07 PM
I think it probably comes from people realizing how futile it is to 'improve' their lives with material items. 

To a certain extent.  Some material items can improve our lives in some respects.  I believe the problem is trying to 'improve' our lives by chasing the latest trends; for example, by buying a new car every few years and comparing what we have to what others around us have.  I think this is the sort of lifestyle these pop culture stars from the 80's have tried to escape, but due to their high profile (compared to the rest of us), they've had to go to extremes.

Have many items can become burden to some.  Living simple is probably the best thing.  Is there something called Collector's Syndrome?  Or maybe Completist Syndrome?  No doubt ebay must bring that out in many people.

I think you're right about eBay and living simply.  It's probably time for me to sell more stuff on eBay rather than buy it.

SmallCleverDinosaur

Quote from: DigitalQuirk on March 25, 2009, 04:20:40 AM
Have many items can become burden to some.  Living simple is probably the best thing.  Is there something called Collector's Syndrome?  Or maybe Completist Syndrome?  No doubt ebay must bring that out in many people.

I think you're right about eBay and living simply.  It's probably time for me to sell more stuff on eBay rather than buy it.

I find myself collecting things off ebay that I really don't need, but I do it because the stuff is so cool. Mostly Commodore stuff. All that stuff that I wanted so bad when I was a teenager, but couldn't have since I didn't have the money.

Do I need it? No
Do I use it? Not necessarily
Do I want it? Yes :) Why? I'm not a collector in general, but when it comes to Commodore stuff, yes I'm a collector. But I like doing it and it's sort of a self-fullfilment to be able do to stuff I couldn't do as a teenager. It probably tells me that I have achieved at least something, and that I think, enhances my life :)
Ignorance is a precious thing. Once lost, it can never be regained.

RobertB

Quote from: DigitalQuirk on March 25, 2009, 04:20:40 AMIt's probably time for me to sell more stuff on eBay rather than buy it.
We Bernardos find it very difficult to sell.  We just want to gather more.  :)

Truly,
                          Robert Bernardo
                          Fresno Commodore User Group
                          http://videocam.net.au/fcug
                          Notacon 6 / Blockparty 3 on April 16-19
                          http://www.notacon.org , http://www.demoparty.us