News:

retro-link - your friendly all-inclusive retro EVERYTHING community

Main Menu

Beige box of awesome

Started by yoyodyne, May 31, 2009, 05:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yoyodyne

One of the benefits at my work is I can look through the re-cycle bin and haul away
anything I think is salvageable.  My latest find was a Packard Bell Legend 425 w/keyboard.
It is a basic 486sx-33mhz, 20mb mem, not sure what size the hard drive is, but
small by todays standards.  It does have an  ISA SoundBlaster 16 card, with the
soundblaster cdrom that interfaces via the sound card.   Has windows 3.1 (not 3.11, so
no networking) installed, but I prefer dos.

Why is this so special to me?  My first non-Commodore computer was the little
brother to this one, a 286, which was all I could afford in 1990.  I got rid of that one
years ago.

Best part: It looks to have a fresh install on the drive, including the suite of software
that Creative Labs included, especially Lemmings!!!  I had the same version when I
bought my own soundblaster years ago, I played it for hours and hours, the music was
the best.  I believe it was level 7 that was my favorite, so I can't wait to find a place
to set up the machine and start in!!!

-Brian
You can have peace, or you can have
freedom.  Don't count on having both
at once. -Heinlein

Paul

That sounds similar to the kind of machine that won me over from Amiga, and made me convert to PC.  I was impressed at both the quantity and quality of games that were available.  Then I saw Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia, and it was pretty clear to me that Amiga wasn't going to compete.
"Life and death are of supreme importance. Time swiftly passes by and opportunity is lost. Each of us should strive to awaken. Awaken. Take heed, do not squander your life." - Dogen Zenji