News:

retro-link - your friendly all-inclusive retro EVERYTHING community

Main Menu

The things you find when digging around

Started by RobertB, January 27, 2012, 12:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertB

While cleaning up the house (and I have a Feb. 25 deadline to have it ready), I've been running across C= items that I have not seen in years or that I didn't even know I had!  A few days ago I pulled out a box of hardware given by a former C= user and found a MSD-SD2 drive in excellent exterior condition.  That one will go to Ray Carlsen during Spring Break so that he could check it out (to make sure its capacitors are not leaking all over the board).  Today I rediscovered my VIC-20 Data-20 64K Video cart that Montreal's Francois "Eslapion" Leveille wants to examine.  And I found my step-up transformer for converting 120v to 220v... perfect for my now-working PET 8296-D that I picked up in England last year.

Who knows what other goodies I will find?
          Robert Bernardo
          Fresno Commodore User Group
          http://videocam.net.au/fcug

RobertB

Quote from: me on January 27, 2012, 12:01:31 AMWhile cleaning up the house (and I have a Feb. 25 deadline to have it ready), I've been running across C= items that I have not seen in years or that I didn't even know I had!  A few days ago I pulled out a box of hardware given by a former C= user and found a MSD SD2 drive...
Goodness!  Yet another MSD SD-2 has been found.  Now Ray Carlsen will have two to check out.
QuoteToday I rediscovered my VIC-20 Data-20 64K Video cart that Montreal's Francois "Eslapion" Leveille wants to examine.
That was mailed out to him last Tuesday.
QuoteAnd I found my step-up transformer for converting 120v to 220v... perfect for my now-working PET 8296-D...
After thinking about it, I don't think it has enough wattage.  I'll buy a 500-watt one from Inverters.com

Who knows what other goodies I will find?
          Robert Bernardo

RobertB

Quote from: me on January 27, 2012, 12:01:31 AMA few days ago I pulled out a box of hardware given by a former C= user and found a MSD SD2 drive...
Quote from: me on February 05, 2012, 04:13:59 PMYet another MSD SD-2 has been found.  Now Ray Carlsen will have two to check out.
On Thursday, when heading down from the Seattle area, I passed by Ray's house and picked up the two MSD SD-2 drives from him.  Both had been in sad condition with capacitor leakage over their boards, one in more serious shape than the other.  However, with Ray's care, both were repaired to excellent-running condition.  He installed auto-copy ROMs in the one with the standard ROMs (and that required added memory to be installed) and put switchable JiffyDOS in the other one.  Both had drive switches installed, too.
     He gave me a plastic bag with all the original, corroded capacitors and chips from the drives.  Interesting to look at for a few seconds, maybe to even show at a club meeting, but I have no reason to keep them.

Writing from the Portland, Oregon area,
          Robert Bernardo