News:

retro-link - your friendly all-inclusive retro EVERYTHING community

Main Menu

SCTV bbs

Started by Rorshach, March 06, 2009, 08:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rorshach

Hello all.

I remember being introduced to BBS when I lived in Whitby Ontario in 1985 or so by 2 or 3 guys who ran the SCTV bbs.  I forgot their real names but they used the bbs nicknames of "Head Hoser Bob MacKenzie" and "Head Hoser Doug MaCkenzie".  They did a demo of it one meeting of the Whitby Commodore user group.  That was an informal user group with no dues, no newsletter or disk library but did have good meetings in the Whitby library during the 80's but for how long I don't know as I only went for a year or so before I moved away to Scarborough.  I remember them telling me they'd heavily modified SCbbs I think for use as SCTV.  I have good memories of that group as one of the organizers was Klaus Dieter Naujok who was an electronics guy and also ran the WDIX bbs along with being one of the first to get the amiga developers kit for which he paid the then stunning amount of $800.

Anyone else still around remember this group? or perhaps you have stories of a small or large user group you were part of in the past (or present?).

Paul

My fondest memory was of the Daily Planet BBS, run by Michael Moon here in Oshawa back in the day.  It was an impressive multiple line Amiga 2000 based BBS, IIRC.  I sent Mr. Moon an invitation to retro-link.com; hopefully, he will join and tell us his stories of running the Daily Planet BBS.
"Life and death are of supreme importance. Time swiftly passes by and opportunity is lost. Each of us should strive to awaken. Awaken. Take heed, do not squander your life." - Dogen Zenji

Rorshach

Quote from: DigitalQuirk on March 06, 2009, 08:50:38 PM
My fondest memory was of the Daily Planet BBS, run by Michael Moon here in Oshawa back in the day.  It was an impressive multiple line Amiga 2000 based BBS, IIRC.  I sent Mr. Moon an invitation to retro-link.com; hopefully, he will join and tell us his stories of running the Daily Planet BBS.

The name of that bbs is vaguely familiar but I don't think I ever called that one.  By the time I had a modem I'd been in scarborough for while and Oshawa / Whitby boards were out of reach for me.  1200 baud was out of reach for me at that time.  Took working extra hours at my part time job to get the $106 to buy my 300 baud Pocket modem at Comspec I think it was.  Being able to run that modem up to 450-495 baud on some boards was an extra bonus back them.  Some downloads that were out of reach at 300 baud in the time I had online suddenly came into reach.

Paul

Michael Moon has written a brief excerpt about running his BBS here:

http://mikemoon.net/dp/index.html
"Life and death are of supreme importance. Time swiftly passes by and opportunity is lost. Each of us should strive to awaken. Awaken. Take heed, do not squander your life." - Dogen Zenji

Paul

I came across this comprehensive list of Durham Region BBS's; some of which I was an active member:

Alpha City, PC, [Rick Johnson]
Alternate BBS, PC, [Jason Locke]
Assassins Grove, Atari, [Jeff Mitchell]
Asylum (C64) / Restaurant At The End Of The Universe (C64) / Lair of the Necromancer (c128), [James Campbell]
Avalon, PC, [Ed Peterson]
Bears Den, PC, [Norm and Keri Tucker]
Benden Weyr, C128, [Zookeeper / F'lar]
Computer Zone, PC, [Derek Hodgson]
Cubist's Mountain, C64, [Mark Long]
Daily Planet, Amiga, [Michael Moon / Wayne Berry cosysop]
Dosdai Experiment, PC, [Sean ?]
Elf, PC, [Glenn & Michelle Oliver]
Entertainment BBS, C64, [Dave Perry]
Galaxy of Stars (C64), Cheers (C64), MGM (C64), PiL II (C64), Paranormal Discussions(PC), (Mine - Paul Dobbs)
Ground Zero, C64, [Kristine Ebersbach - still running I think!)
Guild of Theives / Deadworld / Moonbase Alpha, C64, [Paul Van Doleweerd]
Hell's Gate, PC, [Glenn Donnithorne / Karen Livett]
Intempret Zone ?, C64, (Steven Boyd]
Moonlight Desires, PC, [Ray Henning]
MuchMusic, C64, [Les Ervin]
Mystic Society, PC, [Rick Jones]
Myth, C64, [Chris Reid]
Oshawa Kennel, C64, [Tim Dobson/Kennel Master, with Ken Dobson/Mr. D as Cosysop]
PiL I, C64, [Jeff Dowhan]
PiL II, C64, [Paul Dobbs]
PiL III, C64, [Tom Sleith]
PiL IV, C64, [?] - Yes.. we were a hit for a while there! :-)
Robyn's Nest, C64, [Adele Messena]
ScribbleLand, C64, [Brian Fox]
Social Suicide, PC, [Midnite Star]
Sorcerer's Apprentice, C64, [The Last Unicorn as Cosysop?]
Spectrum, C64, [Kristine Ebersbach]
Starbase Alpha, C64, [?]
Subterminal Destroyer, C64, [Kevin Woods]
The Borg, PC, [? Borg]
The Dungeon, C64, [Tom Bankhead]
The Electrick Shock, PC, [Kevin Truong]
The Hotel, C64, [Scott something..]
The Palace Of Exile, PC, [June Dwight]
The Wright Stuff, PC, [Ted & Rob Wright]
The Zone, PC, [Tim Woolridge]
Tiny's BBS, PC
Twightlight Zone, PC, [Olga Field / Slash]
Vampire's Sanctum, PC, [Julian Vachon]
Warp Nine, C64, [Al LeighBroch]
7th Dimension, PC, [Shawn Berry]

I'm attempting to contact some of the Sysops.

Rorshach

Quote from: DigitalQuirk on March 07, 2009, 02:03:59 AM
I came across this comprehensive list of Durham Region BBS's; some of which I was an active member:

If that one is still running can you put the number up here? I'd give it a try.

Paul

Quote from: Rorshach on March 07, 2009, 08:12:23 AM
Quote from: DigitalQuirk on March 07, 2009, 02:03:59 AM

If that one is still running can you put the number up here? I'd give it a try.

Here's a list I dug up, complete with phone numbers; might be worth a try:

http://bbslist.textfiles.com/905/