News:

retro-link - your friendly all-inclusive retro EVERYTHING community

Main Menu

First modem.

Started by Rorshach, March 11, 2009, 10:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rorshach

Greetings Programs,

What was your first modem and first bbs you had called? For me my first working modem was summer of '87 I think when I got a BOT engineering pocket modem at 300 baud which I later discovered I could go from 400 to almost 500 baud on some BBS's.  Believe it or not that modem got me through a few years but I no longer have it.

Presently I do have a Taihaho 300 baud I got from Active surplus in the early 90's and a 1670 at 1200 baud. My current favourite is a 1660 300 baud modem. This was also the Fone Phreakers Phavourite as instead of having built in touch tone dialling it had an RCA jack audio input which allowed the computer to generate the DTMF pairs. Of course one could also use the famous 2600Hz tone or 1800Hz - tasi locking frequency and others such as the lesser known A B C D tone pairs not phone on must telephones but was used in Bell company equipment and military exchanges.

Paul

Technically, my first modem was the VicModem, a 300 baud modem I used with my Vic 20 and Commodore 64.  Unfortunately, with the included software, there wasn't very much I could connect to.  It was a mail order generic 2400 baud modem for my Amiga 500 that really opened the door all the way for me. 

As for my first BBS, that's a tough one.  I cannot remember the name of the one I connected to with my VicModem (the ASCII art of the BBS name never came through properly).  I do remember getting my first BBS list from Con-Pute in Oshawa after getting my 2400 baud modem, so my first BBS was probably the first one on that list, and I believe Assassin's Grove was the first one I was able to get through to on that list.
"Life and death are of supreme importance. Time swiftly passes by and opportunity is lost. Each of us should strive to awaken. Awaken. Take heed, do not squander your life." - Dogen Zenji

RobertB

My first modem was a Westridge 300 modem which I used with BobsTerm Pro 128.  With proper tweaking of BT Pro, it was supposed to be able to get up to 450 baud.  Then I graduated to a Commodore 1670 1200-baud modem.  What a speed increase!  Up next was the Aprotek Minimodem-C24 2400-baud modem.  With that modem I went to Desterm 2.01.  Now I am up to a Zoom 56K external modem, Turbo-232 cart, and still Bobsterm Pro 128.  The C128DCR downloads very nicely now.

Truly,
                   Robert Bernardo
                   Fresno Commodore User Group
                   http://videocam.net.au/fcug
                   The Other Group of Amigoids
                   http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
                   Southern California Commodore/Amiga Network
                   http://www.sccaners.org/

Rorshach

When I lived in Whitby I did get a few copies of the SCTV newsletter which was done on Commodore with Newsroom and they did have an advert for someone selling westridge modems for $40. I wish I had done so then as when I did get a modem a couple years later I paid just over $100 for a 300 baud pocket modem.

RobertB

Quote from: Rorshach on March 12, 2009, 09:17:04 AM
...they did have an advert for soemone selling westridge modems for $40. I wish I had done so then as when I did get a modem a couple years later I paid just over $100 for a 300 baud pocket modem.
My Westridge 300-baud modem was free.  :)

Truly,
                         Robert Bernardo
                         Fresno Commodore User Group
                         http://videocam.net.au/fcug

Arkhan

Soundblaster 16 w/ onboard modem... >_>

lol

56k!

SmallCleverDinosaur

My first modem was an internal 2400 baud modem built into a Mac Powerbook 100. That computer had a black and white screen. No, no greyscales or shades, just pure black and white :)

I connected to various BBS's in Sweden, probably highly unknown to the rest of the World :D
Ignorance is a precious thing. Once lost, it can never be regained.