News:

retro-link - your friendly all-inclusive retro EVERYTHING community

Main Menu

Berzerk on Atari 8bits

Started by Rorshach, May 14, 2011, 11:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rorshach

As you may have heard there were a few game prototypes from atari that never made it out at least not officially.  Games like Super Pacman, Berzerk and a couple others. Luckily they are now available on cartridge. Just a couple months ago I ordered Berzerk from B & C computervisions at www.myatari.com and I am quite impressed with the game itself.  Graphics are very much like the original arcade game from Stern and it does include speech just like the original game. The cart itself is I presume an eprom or eeprom of the 16k variety and the case is an original nos atari cartridge case. The only difference being the label. Since the game was cancelled before labels were produced. The label on the cart is quite nice and is a repro of the atari 2600 berzerk label picture without the orginal text but instead simply states BERZERK.  The game itself is not terribly expensive being $20 + shipping, a big relief from the overpriced Xbox 360 & PS3 games I have bought recently. My only complaint is not with the game itself or with B&C but with the US postal service horridly slow delivery methods. It took just over a month to get to me when it should have been 2 weeks or less. I had ordered a Commodore 16 book the same day and it arrived just under a week, from England!

Basically what happened was in the heyday of atari's home computer divisions a number of projects were started but never finished for various reasons. This includes such games as berzerk.  Luckily some of these games were found and are reproduced.

RobertB

Quote from: Rorshach on May 14, 2011, 11:54:28 AMGraphics are very much like the original arcade game from Stern and it does include speech just like the original game.
Hmm, I wonder about the similarities of this Atari Berzerk and the Berzerk that was released for the C64 last year.
QuoteMy only complaint is not with the game itself or with B&C but with the US postal service horridly slow delivery methods. It took just over a month to get to me when it should have been 2 weeks or less.
Heh, I've ordered stuff from Canada, and it's taken a month to get to me.  I blame Canadian Customs.
QuoteI had ordered a Commodore 16 book the same day and it arrived just under a week, from England!
I, too, have received goods in under a week from the U.K..

Truly,
          Robert Bernardo
          Fresno Commodore User Group
          http://videocam.net.au/fcug
          July 23-24 Commodore Vegas Expo 2011 - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

Rorshach

Robert, it is NOT customs its the current mail strike, also I did not order from canada all the orders with excessive delays have been from the United States, and it goes back a couple of years at least. That is far longer than the current postal strike.

The Berzerk Cartridge I have is from a finished but unreleased game Atari had been working on back in the 80's very closely mirrors the Arcade original. Contrary to some fairy tales it is not based on the 2600 version which was popular when released but was not really the same.

RobertB

Quote from: Rorshach on July 11, 2011, 09:19:03 AM...its the current mail strike, also I did not order from canada all the orders with excessive delays have been from the United States, and it goes back a couple of years at least. That is far longer than the current postal strike.
Heh, I've been ordering from Canada longer than a couple years, and my Canadian contacts blame customs and/or the Canadian post office.  Oh, by the way, Matthew Leaman of AmigaKit.com blames Canadian customs and/or the post office for atrociously slow delivery of his products from the United Kingdom to Canada.

The calm before CommVEx,
         Robert Bernardo
         Fresno Commodore User Group
         http://videocam.net.au/fcug
         July 23-24 Commodore Vegas Expo v7 2011 - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex